Critical Reflection

 Module Learning

In week 2 of my course on Critical Thinking and Communicating, I have set my goals towards improving my body language and speaking skills, as well as learning critical thinking skills to perform problem solving and decision making. During the following weeks of my critical thinking classes, I have learned how to prepare for presentations and use the Paul-Elder critical thinking framework to analyze issues and form solutions.

To prepare for presentations, the Garr Reynold’s presentation tips helped me to design and plan engaging slides that are effective at transmitting important messages. This helped with my speaking skills as I was able to use the slides to focus what my points and stay on track. Not only did it help to cut down on my filler words, my arms and legs were able to stay grounded as I utilized a remote-control device to focus the audience attention on important points.

As for critical thinking skills, the Paul-Elder critical thinking framework is a good guide to understand problems, analyze data and create innovative outcomes. Using this framework, I have learned how to create effective solutions based on primary and secondary research, and make informed decisions based on the solution.

To further improve my skills, I should learn to spot biased information. During the course, I have discovered that I tend to trust any source that I was able to gather, as the message conveyed in the source aligns with what I am trying to prove. I should use sources that is up to date, and to use multiple sources to verify that the information is accurate and precise.

 

Project Learning

In my research project, I worked in a group of 4 to come up with an improvement for search and rescue operations. Our team decided to implement a remote-controlled tethering system for the deployment of search and rescue robots as rescue workers face a lot of hazards when manually deploying them.

During presentation, I utilized what I have learnt for the preparation of the slides and delivery skills, such as good eye contact and the use of a remote-control device. This experience reinforced what I should do in future presentations, as I have found significant improvements in my speaking and body language.

As for teamwork, I have learned how to split the workload among the team according to their strengths. This is useful as every team member are capable in different areas, such as using design software or presentation skills. This experience has changed my view of learning as I would assign and do the roles given without thinking if I would have been able to contribute in a better way if I had another role.

For critical thinking, I researched secondary sources to build my knowledge on the problem and create an optimal solution. This experience has improved my problem-solving skills as I used the 6 steps in the Paul-Elder critical thinking framework. Through secondary research, I have built my knowledge and comprehension on the existing problem. The data collected is analyzed and processed into a solution, which is the remote-controlled tethering system. This method is useful for future problems that I will encounter, as I will be able to create an effective solution.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letter of Introduction

Paraphrasing

Summary draft #2